We are really excited to be looking for an exceptional candidate to join our team as a Solutions Architect.
The Solutions Architect role is a new role at Consult and Design and is critical in our drive for growth and improvement as we begin our 15th Birthday celebrations. Over the last few years we have significantly invested in our Operations and Development Teams, setting up an efficient client support infrastructure and project management capacity that add huge value to our team of expert developers and designers. Our Solutions Architect will be pivotal in being the glue between these two teams, and our clients in order to design and support world-class websites and applications that improve how people live and work.
Clearly things are a bit different right now, and there are a lot of unknowns, so we want to ensure that expectations are met. We are looking at an initial 3 month probation period but fully expect this to become a permanent position and a permanent contract as we venture into the next phases of business growth in the response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are currently open to part-time or consultancy/freelance as an option if this would be preferable for you, however we would envisage this would evolve into a full-time position or job share in the near future.
The following are the kind of attributes we are seeking for this new role. Everyone is different and will bring a range of skills and experience so the below is primarily a guide to understanding if this role is right for you, and for us to understand if you are right for the role.
- Strong technical and design understanding while being able to communicate fluently with non-technical audiences as the link between clients and developers.
- Experience of user/human focused solutions architecture or business analyst type roles within a software or website development environment.
- Alignment with the Consult and Design values and a personal drive to provide clients with solutions that measurably improve the way they live and work.
- A team player who has a strong sense of empathy in order to carefully manage the complex and diverse needs of our team, partners and clients.
- Confident and self-motivated, working constructively and creatively to remove bottlenecks and get things done.
- An appreciation of the importance of diversity, accessibility and inclusion in the development of software and websites.
- Knowledge and experience of methods and tools such as agile, design thinking, service design and innovation strategy.
Our Solutions Architect will be required to work from Sunderland Software Centre when it is safe again to do so — a modern cutting edge workplace in the centre of Sunderland, with a beautiful view of Mowbray Park and Sunderland Winter Gardens. You will be provided with onboarding and some training, but you will be expected to learn by doing and picking things up quickly to get yourself up to speed.
You will report directly to the CEO and are required to be trustworthy and transparent at all times.
The following are some of the core daily responsibilities:
- Production of detailed and high quality project documentation including functional specifications, success criteria and project proposals as a means to support winning new business and deliver measurable success to our clients.
- Deliver scoping and creative workshops, and innovative methodologies to understand and answer the needs of new and existing clients and their users.
- Supporting the Operations Team in order to assess and evaluate client requests to ensure accurate delivery within scope and budget.
- Regular communication and cooperation with the Operation Team and with developers to innovate, evolve and evaluate project progress.
- Assessing how we can contribute more actively to the open source communities we are part of including Drupal and CiviCRM.
- Working in close collaboration with the Operations Manager and CEO to regularly review and improve business management processes.
- Being a key member of the senior Leads Team to support project development while inputting and collaborating on the strategic priorities of the company.
We are all working from home right now. We suggest you read our Business Continuity Plan to understand how we are managing in the current pandemic. We do not know when we will be returning to our home in Sunderland and use Zoom, Slack and good old fashioned telephone to keep in touch. We appreciate that this is not the normal way to start a new job, but we expect to make you very welcome and integrate you into our friendly team and clients quickly.
Consult and Design has a very high team retention rate. We provide our people with the support, space and the right atmosphere to grow personally and professionally. Working with great clients on projects that make a difference is rewarding in itself, but we also have a range of great benefits.
- Salary based on experience £23-30K per year.
- Flexible working hours (37.5 hours per week).
- At least 29 days holiday per year inclusive of bank holidays.
- MacBook and iPhone where required.
- Training and personal development opportunities such as attending international conferences and local training courses.
We encourage applications from people of under-represented groups — we’re an inclusive bunch and are striving to improve diversity in our workplace.
How to Apply
Please send your CV with details of current salary and benefits along with a motivational statement that details at a minimum:
- What about the company makes you want to work for Consult and Design?
- What makes you the ideal candidate for this job?
- What do you love about Solutions Architecture?
- Your current notice period.
- Please send your CV and statement in PDF format, using the form at the following web address. Only applications submitted using this form will be accepted.
Use the online form ONLY to submit your application before 12pm on Monday 13th July. If you have any questions please contact us using the contact form on our website.
Applications are now closed
Note that the role is ideally expected to start before the end of July. If you are not able to start then, please ensure you provide an expected start date in your motivational statement. We understand that you may need to work out notice on an existing job.
- Call for candidates open: Monday 22nd June
- Deadline for application: 12pm Monday 13th July
- Notification to shortlist: Tuesday 14th July
- Interviews: Thursday 16th July (online via Zoom)
- Notification to successful applicant: Friday 17th July
- Contract signed by: Monday 20th July
- Expected start date: ASAP
Agencies: Please note that we are not open to working with agencies on this occasion, so please don’t contact us about this post.